Saturday, February 11, 2012

Contra Dancing

My sweet husband took me out recently to something that was somewhat new to both of us: Contra Dancing. Ever heard of it? It's like square dancing in that each dance is called, and many of the steps are taken from square dancing, but there are a few simple basics that are good to learn in the beginning. There was a live band which was very fun and we paid $9 for the evening which included a short lesson at the beginning.

I noticed some of the men were wearing skirts so I asked someone what that meant. Did they want to dance the lady's part? The response: "It's just more fun to dance in a skirt!" That made me laugh. This is a fun and varied crowd of people. We had a great time and everyone was very helpful and forgiving of our not knowing what we were doing. I even had a blast just watching.

If you're looking for a fun evening and some good exercise, try contra dancing. Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. Bring some water, and if you're a man and would like to wear a skirt go for it!

Click here for more about Contra Dancing in the Triangle Area.

Keep on Dancin'!

No comments: